Geraniums and Pelargoniums
No flower captures the essence of summer more than brightly coloured Geraniums and Pelargoniums.
Plant them in pots and hanging baskets to brighten up walls and fences, patios and front entrances.
At a Glance:
- Plant a sunny, frost-free position
- Dead head regularly to prolong flowering
- Feed every 2 weeks with a liquid plant food
Although both geraniums and pelargoniums members of the same plant family, each is in fact a distinct genus.
Main types include:
- Regal - large, frilly flowers
- Zonal - big flowers, zonal pattern on leaves
- Fancy Leafed - leaves banded with yellow, white or coral,
- Ivy - ivy like leaves and a trailing habit
- Scented - aromatic leaves smelling of citrus, apple or mint.
Flowers come in a range of colours from white through to pink to red, purple and orange.
They make excellent pot and container plants. Thrive in glasshouses and conservatories.
- Plant in full sun, in a frost free location.
- They prefer a loose, free draining soil with added compost.
- Feed with a slow release fertiliser at planting time and fortnightly with a liquid or soluble fertiliser such as Phostrogen.
- Water regularly in hot periods.
- Dead head and trim dried or yellow leaves to keep in good condition.
- When growing in pots or baskets use a good quality potting mix with added slow release flowering fertiliser.
When to Plant
Geraniums and pelargoniums are best planted from spring through to mid summer.
You can buy them as individually named plants or in mixed 6 packs for use in bedding displays.
Where to use
Geraniums and pelargoniums can be used all round the garden to good effect. Try using them in some of the situations listed below:-
- Plant in mixed borders
- Full sun spots in the garden
- In pots and containers
- In conservatories and glasshouses
- Over archways and frames
- Spill over walls, banks etc
There are dozens of varieties, but here are just some of our favourites:
Frank Headlye - single salmon flowers
Mrs Pollock - single scarlet flowers
Occold Shield - double orange/red flower
Pac Tomcat - semi-double dark velvet red
Pac Tomgirl - large double blooms of velvet red
Pac Flower Fairy Berry - cerise with eye
Pac Glacis - white flowers
Pac Victor - velvet-red blooms
Aristo Beauty - burgundy with white edged flowers
Joseph Hayden - rose pink with eye
Scented Pelargonium —
Orange Fizz - lemon scented
Fragrans—apple and nutmeg scented